The internet spread throughout the years and is now widely used worldwide. There has been an enormous and astounding quantity of digitalization. The World Wide Web’s development sparked an unstoppable expansion of the internet. The internet made a mark for itself, growing from having a small number of users and limited connectivity to having billions of users and extensive connectivity.
In the United States, there were just 20% of internet users at the start of the internet era; by 2010, that figure had risen to 79%. It is now believed that 90% of adults in the United States have access to the internet and use it successfully and efficiently. It is estimated that there are approximately 307 million internet users in the United States. The United States ranks third in the world in terms of internet users and first in terms of Internet Service Providers (ISPs).
Electronic devices like computers, mobile phones, and tablets have become more common as a result of the rapid advancement of technology. The rise in mobile phones, computers, and tablets is a result of both technological development and the epidemic. The Covid-19 pandemic forced businesses and educational institutions to change to an online-only working environment, which resulted in an increase in smartphone and tablet purchases.
Free Tablet Programs
Between the laptop and the smartphone, tablets are a hybrid device. These make up a few of the characteristics shared by the laptop and the smartphone. Compared to the small cellphones, which are typically used for communication, tablets typically have a larger screen. In the past, tablets could only be used for viewing content on a large screen and not for communicating. The addition of sim card slots to tablets has resulted from technological improvements, making them communication devices.
The tablet market is doing nicely right now in the United States. A tablet currently costs about $415 on average, although this price is expected to rise with time. Due to their small, portable size as well as their behaviour, tablets are quite beneficial for students. Every aspect of life during the pandemic, including schooling, moved online. Back then, in order to participate in the online classes, a student had to have a smartphone, laptop, or tablet. The most practical choice in this situation is a tablet.
However, for families with multiple children, it is not possible to give each youngster with a tablet. Additionally, it can be difficult for low-income families to afford to get their kids their own tablet. With the average price of a tablet being approximately $415, a family with two kids requires at least 850 dollars. Typically, a household with a low income cannot afford this. There are numerous initiatives that give the poor in need a tablet as a means of assistance in the United States. In the next sections, we’ll go into more detail about these programs.
Government Programs That Provides Free Tablet Programs :
A program that offers people free tablets and waives internet fees has been introduced by the United States government. The Affordable Connectivity Program, also known as ACP, is what this program is all about. The Federal Communications Commission is responsible for overseeing this program. The Emergency Broadband Benefit program, which had already been in place, was changed to the Affordable Connectivity program in November 2021. That’s because the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act was passed, this could be possible. From December 2021, applications will be officially accepted for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
What benefits does the Affordable Connectivity Program promise to provide?
Households can receive help from the Affordable Connectivity Program with broadband and electronic equipment like laptops and tablets.
Any of the following services can be offered as help through the affordable connectivity program:
- A monthly discount of $30 is offered to qualified households on any internet service.
- A 75 dollar monthly reduction on their internet service will be given to those who qualify for this program and reside in appropriate tribal grounds.
- With the payment of an additional sum, which can range from $10 to $50, qualified households are additionally given a discount of up to $100 off the price of a laptop or tablet.
- Additionally, a low-cost service package that is wholly financed by the Affordable Connectivity Program is made available to eligible homes.
Eligibility to Get Free Tablet
Any of the three categories listed below must be met by the applicant in order to be eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
Depending on the household income, the applicant may qualify.
In this type of qualifying, eligibility is determined by looking at household income. A household is typically just a collection of people who share housing and financial responsibilities. The members of a home do not have to be connected to one another. One household and Multiple homes are the two categories of households who qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program based on household income.
For One Household:
- Married couples living together are only permitted to get one Affordable Connectivity Program incentive per household.
- One Affordable Connectivity Program reward may be received by a parent or guardian and one child who are in a romantic relationship.
- Adults who live with friends or family and provide financial support for the home are only eligible for one Affordable Connectivity Program reward.
For Multiple Household :
- If four people live together yet do not share finances. Each of these four homes can qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program since they can be thought of as separate entities.
- In an assisted living facility, 30 older citizens are grouped together yet are treated as 30 separate families. Each home in this situation is eligible to apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
- A student who receives a Federal Pell Grant and does not reside with his or her parents is regarded as belonging to a different household. For the Affordable Connectivity Program, both the parents and the student may submit separate applications here.
The household income should be at least 200% of what is considered to be below the federal poverty level. The income limit is specified as follows: 27180 dollars for a household with one person, 36620 dollars for a household with two people, 46060 dollars for a household with three people, and so on. In other words, the maximum rises by $9440 for each extra person living in the home.
If the applicant, the applicant’s children, or any person who is dependent on the applicant is already registered in a government aid program, they may also qualify. If the candidates are currently enrolled in one of the Federal Assistance Programs or the Tribal Assistance Programs, they are qualified.
The Federal Assistance programs constitute of :
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA) (including Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program (Section 8 Vouchers), Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)/202/811, Public Housing, and Affordable Housing Programs for American Indians, Alaska Natives or Native Hawaiians)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools
- Received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
The Tribal Assistance programs constitute of :
The Affordable Connectivity Program accepts candidates who reside on tribal territory and have household incomes that are below or 200% of the federal poverty level as well as those who have enrolled in Tribal Assistance Programs.
- Affordable Housing Programs for American Indians, Alaska Natives or Native Hawaiians
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
If the participant or another person living in the participant’s home currently receives a lifeline benefit, they are also eligible.
A federal program called Lifeline Benefit attempts to offer internet access to eligible individuals at a reduced price. The Affordable Connectivity Program is also open to people who have previously signed up for the Lifeline Benefits Program. The candidate can receive twice as many rewards from both programs by doing this.
Documents Required :
Depending on whatever category the application qualifies under, different documentation is needed for the Affordable Connectivity Program. Typically, the necessary fundamental documents include,
- Federal or state-issued identification is acceptable as proof of identity.
- Contact information for the application
- Employees must present salary slips or other documentation of their income.
- Students must provide information in regards to their academics.
- Residence evidence
- Evidence of eligibility using documents
Here, the proof of eligibility is dependent on the method of qualification, such as income, federal or tribal assistance programs, or lifeline benefit programs.
Documents needed by those who are eligible based on income are as follows:
- State, federal, or tribal tax return from the previous year
- A pay stub or a recent income statement from your company
- A Social Security benefit statement
- Benefits statement from the Veterans Administration
- Benefits statement for workers’ compensation or unemployment
- Child support award, divorce decision, or any formal record demonstrating your income
- A benefit statement for pensions or retirement plans
Documents needed for applicants who meet the criteria for assistance programs:
- Benefits letter of award
- Consent letter
- An explanation of benefits
- Letter of benefit verification
- Student documentation
What is the Affordable Connectivity Program’s application process?
There are three ways to apply for the Affordable Connectivity program:
- Online at: https://nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true&link-from-how-to-apply – To submit an online application, click this link. One must first register for an account. There is no doubt that online applications receive prompt assistance.
- Mail: The applicant may download the application form from the internet and manually complete it. There are 9 languages that you can pick from while filling out this application. The household worksheet should be submitted with the application form by the applicant. Here you can find additional details about the Household worksheet under Tools – ACP – Universal Service Administrative Company. The application form and the household worksheet should be mailed to the address listed below.
20554, 45 L Street NE, Washington, D.C.
- Internet service provider: Prospective participants may also confirm with them that they are a part of the Affordable Connectivity Program by contacting their internet service provider. The applicant can also submit an application through their internet company if they choose to participate in the program. You may see all the internet service providers in your area that are members of the Affordable Connectivity Program by entering your zip code or city and choosing the program you want.
The authorities will respond quickly to your application once it has been submitted and will send you an approval. The authorities may ask the applicant to submit additional documents if they believe that any required documents were not attached, in which case the application will not be processed.
What steps must one take in order to submit the documents?
There are three ways to submit the documentation needed for the application procedure.
- Online: To create or login to your account, go to https://nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true . Log in and then submit the necessary paperwork.
- Mail: The federal office is located at 45 L Street NE, Washington, DC 20554. The applicant may also mail the required paperwork to this address. (For quick help, it is advisable to deliver the documents at the time of the application itself.)
- Internet company: To process their application and submit their supporting documents, applicants can also get in touch with the online provider. Your work will be finished if they offer the option of submitting the papers through their corporate website.
One must be asking if the original documents themselves are required to be submitted, or if a copy of the originals is. Never present your original documents; instead, you may show a scanned or photocopied copy of them as proof.
Non profit organisations :
Many non-profit organisations are extending their services to provide individuals with free tablets in addition to the government providing them with free tablets and reliable internet connectivity. The next section discusses a few of the nonprofit organisations that offer assistance in this area.
People with technology problems might get assistance from this nonprofit organisation. For the purpose of assisting individuals, they have partnered with numerous different nonprofit organisations. They also have a program that enables low-income individuals to receive a free tablet. They offer support for cell phones, laptops, and desktop computers in addition to tablets, depending on the situation. There are various states in the United States where this program is available, and each state has its own requirements for eligibility.
On It Foundation
Another non-profit organisation that was founded in 1999 is this one. Their main objective is to provide improved technology access to families with children who are socially disadvantaged. To encourage children to master new technologies and to advance their technological skills, they attempt to give away free gadgets to them.
Computers 4 Kids
The Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction is in charge of the Computers 4 Kids program, also known as C4K. The district’s public schools or educational services that don’t have access to the latest technological developments are the focus of this initiative. In the schools covered by the Washington provision, they give students computers and other technology that is required to deliver digital education.
This organisation gives PCs, tablets, and laptops to low-income households. To receive the complimentary items, one must finish their 10 hours of community work.
Through this organisation, one can access free technology, including tablets. They also provide instructors and students discounts so they may buy products for less money. They also offer cheap access to various software and internet services, with a special focus on teachers, parents, and students.
This organisation is dedicated to delivering affordable internet connections, equipment, and digital training to underprivileged communities in order to improve their social and economic conditions. Since this organisation’s founding in 2012, they have helped more than a million people gain access to the internet. Additionally, they aided thousands by offering digital training and donated almost 5000 devices to the less fortunate.
It is a nonprofit company that offers information and communication technologies to underprivileged people all around the world. To accomplish this, they are working with other non-profit and non-governmental organisations. They want to use existing technology as much as possible, using reuse as opposed to recycling. All those who require them are given refurbished smartphones by this company.
Computers For Learning :
The Execution Order 12999, also known as CFL, directs the Federal authorities to furnish educational institutions and schools with the permitted or excessive amounts of technological equipment. CFL stands for Computers For Learning. Through this program, educational institutions like schools can contact government authorities to inquire about the devices they require but are overpriced.
The Salvation Army
One of the most well-known American organisations was founded in 1865, a very long time ago. This organisation is reputed to have an active presence in over 131 nations and offers its services not just in the United States but also internationally. They offer a variety of services, including shelters for the homeless, support with natural disasters, food banks, services for older people, assistance for victims of domestic abuse, and more. In addition, they run a program where low-income families, students, and those in need can acquire free electronics including tablets, PCs, and cellphones. To learn more about this initiative, one might stop by the closest Salvation Army office.
Does the government offer tablets for free?
For those in need and those with limited resources, the government has always been there. These persons are helped by a number of programs that they have. An initiative dubbed the Affordable Connectivity Program has been launched to help people benefit from technology improvements. Through this program, individuals from various social groups can benefit from internet access and obtain tablets for their homes. The eligibility requirements, application procedure, and list of required documents are all clearly stated in this article, along with other program information.
What additional means are there to obtain free tablets?
There are plenty of additional methods to help individuals outside the government programs that provide them with free tablets. Nonprofit and non-governmental organisations are included in this. These organisations can provide assistance to those who were unable to receive it through the ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program). These organisations run a variety of programs that assist people in obtaining free tablets.
Can anyone apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program?
There are several limitations on who can apply for this federal program, which is accessible throughout the whole United States. Those who fall under the category of low-income households, those who have signed up for federal or tribal assistance programs, or those who are already receiving aid through the Lifeline program. In this article, more specifics concerning the ACP program are covered.
The economy has grown significantly over the past few decades due to a variety of developments, and one area that has undergone a diverse evolution is technology. Many tasks that were formerly performed manually have been digitised thanks to technology. This led to the creation of several devices, including smartphones, tablets, and other items that are now an essential part of everyone’s lives.
The problem with improvements, though, is that they primarily help those who can afford to use the new technologies. People who have been struggling are still struggling. Communities who are struggling financially still struggle to take advantage of all the achievements that have been made. The globe has become increasingly reliant on digital goods as a result of the epidemic, which has resulted in an increase in the usage of PCs and cell phones. Because they are portable and convenient for daily work, many people prefer tablets to computers.
Government agencies as well as nonprofit organisations have developed a variety of programs to help low-income households acquire tablets. Through these initiatives, one can receive aid and not only receive a tablet without cost but also internet services at a very low cost. Students, families, and senior citizens can acquire tablets for nothing by using this wonderful service.
As the co-founder of our blog, I’m Harper. Alongside my partner Sophia, we’ve created this platform to make it simpler and more efficient to search for and secure grants and other forms of financial aid. Our commitment is to provide our users with the best information and resources to ensure their success.